Home Forums Growing Spirulina Chemical elements in Spirulina culture medium (advanced)

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  mrlj22 2 months ago.

• Author

Henri Lentonen

Hi,

I was wondering that does anyone have the elements list that spirulina need?

For example when we have “ferrous sulphate”, does spirulina need sulfate also or only ferrous=iron?

And how about “sodium bicarbonate”: does spirulina really need sodium, we know it need carbonates so it wont need CO2 from the ambient air if I understood right.

CO2 has two oxygens: we dont need that. NaHCO3 has three oxygens, so is there a reason why we cannot crush wood charcoal and feed it to spirulina as source of carbon?

Someone please provide just the basic chemical elements that spirulina needs to grow like this:

– iron
    – carbon
    – magnesium

We need to cook up simple soup in ordinary natural basic things, so everyone can grow spirulina even in Africa without hygienic problems with biowaste, manure etc.

I mean simply, that wood ash has many elements useful it also raises pH. And how about if we add clay to the culture, red clay in Africa has much iron especially.

Spirulina can float in the culture and adjust its position with gas vacuoles/vesicles. Clay and ash particles will fall to bottom when not mixed. So we dont need continous mixing of the culture. And when we mix it, it will release nutrients from the sediment of clay and ash.

So what else we need?

Using animal wastes is simple when you burn them to ash.

But when we dont have animals, how we can cultivate spirulina? There is always some wood and therefore ash: also soil of somekind.

Lets figure out, how we can cultivate spirulina the most simple yet effective.

Elliander
    Participant

Evaporated Seawater. I am not sure why, but something about that increased the growth density of my culture allowing me to harvest more. I suspect that cyanobacteria can benefit from trace minerals the way more complex life can. The salt content of the culture was still lower than pond-water after using a quarter cup evaporated sea water per pound of spirulina harvested for a year in combination with other nutrients. Of course, I keep the culture constantly moving to prevent it from just floating on the top and increase growth density and that is also a factor.

Actually, I was once contacted by a grower who was experimenting with using nothing but evaporated seawater, though I don’t know how much they used at a time or how fast it grew. Regardless, it seemed to work for them, which tells me that Spirulina could be easily introduced in areas that only have access to seawater. Though you’d obviously need a source of unpolluted seawater, and it would likely require lots of testing to get just right.

mrlj22
    Participant

here is the link: http://www.algaecompetition.com/PDF.cfm/GrowYourOwnSpirulina.pdf

CULTURE MEDIUM
    Spirulina can live in a wide range of compositions of water; the following is an example of a
    convenient analysis:
    * Anions Carbonate 2800 mg/l
    * Bicarbonate 720
    * Nitrate 614
    * Phosphate 80
    * Sulfate 350
    * Chloride 3030
    * Cations Sodium 4380
    * Potassium 642
    * Magnesium 10
    * Calcium 10
    * Iron 0.8
    * Total dissolved solids 12847
    * Density @ 20°C 1010 g/l
    * Alkalinity 0.105 N (moles strong base/litre)
    * pH @ 20°C 10.4

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.