Home Forums Growing Spirulina Control of contamination in Spirulina culture

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Henri Lentonen 6 months, 2 weeks ago.

• Author

michaeli
    Participant

Dear Spirulina growers,
    Can you help me on how to remove contaminants in my Spirulina culture. I have been growing Spirulina in conical flask (2-4 liters)for about a year now and I have never experienced any contaminants in the culture. However, in two months ago till now I found moving zooplankton (with shape of Paramecium) in all flasks. I tried to raise the pH but the organisms are still surviving. Bad enough there are other like Chlamydomonas with big ovoid shape moving in my culture.
    I tried also to raise salinity and increase temperature, for two days I did not see any more zooplankton but phytoplankton were there. But today when i checked under microscope i have seen some zooplankton in a container with high salnity concentration.
    Please, is there any one who can help on the best way to go
    Thanks

Henri Lentonen

I think you should take other kind of approach to the problem.

Start to cultivate zooplankton and spirulina together.

It is then semi-closed ecosystem. So you should save some of the zooplankton as it can live with spirulina.

You maybe cannot eat it, but animals sure can eat it and always you can fertilize plants with that.

One thing you could do is to byu organic tobacco and use that in the liquid you want to purify. As nicotine only attacks nervous cells, it will not harm the algae but will most definately kill the zooplankton.

Just be sure it is organic tobacco, otherwise it will most def kill also the spirulina!

I havent tryed that tobacco-method, but it could solve the problem – please post results here! And also, post some of your microscope pictures to us, so we can also see your culture more close. 🙂

Here is topic of this semi-closed ecosystem method:

Zooplankton & phytoplankton (semi-closed ecosystem)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.