Home Forums Growing Spirulina Methods for adding CO2 to the culture

Tagged: 

This topic contains 5 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  JesurunTiger 2 months ago.

• Author

LucasM
    Participant

Hi,

I’m currently exploring different ways to add CO2 to the medium. In the bonus section of the micro-course there are two methods described: the first using a bottle of CO2 as a generator, the second a more basic method which utilises sugar, yeast and hot water in an empty plastic water bottle.

Does anyone have experience using these two methods, and which would they recommend? How long does each method last for? My main concern is keeping the cost low but I would consider the first method if productivity is a lot higher.

Or perhaps other effective methods of adding CO2? I want to avoid using sodium bicarbonate.

Thanks!

Dr Cath
    Keymaster

I would suggest to strat experimenting with the sugar method and see how your spirulina reacts and if you see a lot of improvement upgrade to the other system.

CO2 is CO2, spirulina won’t know the difference. It’s just how much and how consistently you provide them with added CO2.

I hope this helps. Let us know how it goes.

More info:
    https://permies.com/t/40/6456/spirulina-growing
    https://ebbeycop.files.wordpress.com/2015/06/experiment-growing-spirulina-algae-1-0-eng.pdf

AMBU123
    Participant

can u explain me the process of adding co2. please

SpiralOut
    Participant

Ive been doing some Eco Enzyme (garbage enzyme) fermentation and it appears they produce so much co2! Im surprised at how much co2 they produce!

if youre looking into co2 supplementation you better look at Eco Enzyme fermentation, they can be explosive when left anaerobic for a couple of days…

LucasM
    Participant

Dr Cath: Yeah I figured that would be the case, I guess I’ll just experiment with different ways and see which one works the best for me!

AMBU123: In the micro-course provided by this website, the bonus section explains how adding CO2 will boost production and describes two methods to do so.

This is from the micro-course —–> “Simply inject CO2 in you tank through small air tubing! It’s as simple as that! Use polyethylene or polyurethane tubing, as silicon or vinyl tubing will leak up to 20% of the CO2 before it reaches your tank!
    You can either get a bottle of CO2 or you can make your own CO2 generator.
    Here is how to make your own CO2 generator:
    • In a 2-liter empty water bottle, add 50gr of sugar and 20 gr of yeast.
    • Pierce the cap of the bottle and insert the air tubing.
    • Add half a liter of hot water and close the cap.
    • Place the other end of the air tubing in your spirulina tank.
    • Et Voila! In about 10 minutes the CO2 will start to bubble and transfer into your tank and boost your spirulina production!
    • You should see a nice increase of your production in no time! ”

SpiralOut: Certainly sounds like an interesting method! I’ll check it out for sure, thanks 🙂

JesurunTiger

The problem is that how to dissolve all the CO2 to the water. As most of it will release to atmospheric air as it bubbles up from the water.

Producing CO2 with sugar or from pressure bottle is expensive.

Also we want the oxygen away from the water.

In perfect system, new CO2 is pumped to the system and the oxygen is released from the system.

I think that the principle in this should be gravity as CO2 is heavier than oxygen.

That means that we should have enough space in the reactor and special design to let the gases to settle.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.