Spirulina grits (polenta) recipe
ga('create', 'UA-74724045-1', 'auto'); ga('send', 'pageview');
Do you know grits? Or polenta? or sofkey or cornmeal?
Grits is almost a national dish here in the Bahamas, everybody loves it! So I created a recipe to incorporate spirulina to this delicious preparation. I think this is a pretty cool variation of the original recipe. The taste is almost unchanged, just a boost in the protein and vitamin content.
Some (me included) like to add cheese to their grits. I like swiss cheese but any kind of cheese will do.
- 4 tbsp organic grits
- 2 cup organic vegetable bouillon
- 1 tsp spirulina spaghetti or nibs
- ½ organic onion
- 1 tsp olive oil
- a pinch of nutmeg
- Put the bouillon to boil.
- Gradually add the grits the boiling bouillon and reduce the heat to medium.
- continue to cook accordingly to package instruction (about 30 min. for regular grits, 10 min for instant grits). Stir frequently to prevent scorching
- Remove from the heat.
- In an other large saucepan heat the olive oil over medium-heat and add the chopped onions. Sweat until the onions begin to turn translucent, approximately 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add to the grits the spirulina, chopped onions and nutmeg and stir.
- Pour the grits into 9 by 13-inch cake pan. Place in the refrigerator to cool completely. Once cooled, the grits will keep the shape of the container you put it in.
- Turn the grits out onto a cutting board and slices in 1/2 inch thick slices.
- Brush each side with olive oil and saute in a nonstick skillet over medium heat. But you can also enjoy your grits squares just out of the fridge!
Have you try this recipe? Leave a message to tell us if you liked it!